August is here, and we only have five blocks left before we’re ready to finish our 2020 Sampler quilt!
Here is our block for this month:
Before we get started, we want to point out the errata for this month’s block.
Block Assembly step 2 should read: “Place a Color 2 2 ½” square right sides together…”
Block Assembly step 7 Should read: “Repeat to make (2) Color 7/Color 3 4 ½” square blocks using (2) Color 3 4 ½” squares and (4) Color 7 2 ½” squares”
We strongly suggest you use a pen to correct these two errors directly in your magazine. That way, if you are making this quilt again in the future, you’ll have the correct information without any confusion!
There are a lot of tricky spots in this block where your angles and points need to line up well in order to get the proper visual effect. Having your units attached securely to each other before you sew- particularly at the points- is a great way to make sure everything lines up after sewing.
Secure the units at each end of your seam line and on both sides of each point or intersection. Pins and Wonderclips are our go-to tools for securing units together before sewing. Pinning or clipping our units in so many spots may seem like overkill, but it really does help keep everything where it belongs as you sew!
This helps create those perfect points we all hope for.
We always like to remind you when you have a seam along the bias that it’s important not to stretch your fabric as you sew or press it. While sewing, you can use a walking foot or decrease the presser foot pressure, and make sure to not pull the fabric as it feeds through your machine. Finger pressing your seam before pressing with the iron really helps reduce your need to ‘push’ with the iron, which can also cause your fabric to stretch.
If you are using printed fabric for your quilt, this block is a great place to showcase stripes. We are using all solids for our blocks, but just for fun we also made two August blocks using some striped fabric. You can really create great movement in this block with stripes.
We hope you have a fabulous month, and as always, please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.