Welcome to December!
Before we start, we wanted to point out a note about this block from our Eratta page.
The template given in The 2020 Quilter’s Planner magazine has an additional dashed line around the outside that is unnecessary. Please omit this line when copying your template, or download and print the updated template given here, making sure that each template measures 4” (including the dashed line) after printing. This new template includes 4 copies of the template that you will need to make the December block.
Once you have the proper template printed or copied, you can get started on your final block of the year!
If you need a refresher on Foundation Paper Piecing, see our post from November.
We recommend starching your Color 1 and Color 2 pieces before assembling your quilt block. This can help keep them stable as you sew them to your FPP units.
Since we have several FPP units to complete, you may want to use chain piecing to be more efficient with your time. Instead of sewing off the edge of the paper (like you would with fabric when traditional chain piecing), finish your seam stitching (remembering to stitch a bit beyond the printed line), raise your presser foot and needle, and pull the unit back, leaving the stitching area clear so you can place the next unit.
ASSEMBLING YOUR QUILT:
This is what we’ve all been waiting for! Now is the time to see all the blocks you’ve made in 2020 come together into a beautiful quilt top. (If you have yet to complete all of your blocks, we encourage you to do that ASAP and come back to these quilt top assembly tips later in the month.)
Alternating the direction you sew seams in Steps 1 and 2 will help prevent your rows from bowing. For example, sew the first seam top to bottom, and the next seam bottom to top.
When sewing the seams in Step 4, use LOTS of pins or clips! Pin at least at the beginning and end of the seam and at each intersection to keep the points of your blocks lined up nicely with the points of the Color 8 2 ½” squares.
Take the time to measure as indicated in Steps 5 and 6 so you know exactly how long to cut your border pieces. Small variations in your seam allowance over the course of sewing all of your blocks can really effect this measurement, and you need to make sure you are cutting the border pieces to fit YOUR quilt.
And one last step before you’re done- give yourself a big pat on the back for sticking to it during one of the craziest years ever. Now you have a gorgeous quilt top to show off!
We are so proud of you!
~The Quilter’s Planner Team
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at email@example.com so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.