Here we are a month into the 2020 sew-along; can you believe it? In February we have a pinwheel block with the opportunity to create a fun little focal point on one of your HST pieces. Of course we used some bold screen printed fabrics by Karen Lewis here, but you could definitely try other options. A metallic fabric, fussy cutting, a strong floral or novelty fabric are all great choices!
Here are your tips for this month. As always, if you have questions on this block’s construction, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Save your extra HST pieces for later in the year. If you choose not to do the paper pieced blocks in November and December, another pinwheel block might be a great way to fill that space. Even if you plan on making your November and December blocks, you could make these extra HST units into an accent block or label for the back of your quilt or use them to make a coordinating throw pillow cover.
When you are marking your background fabrics for your HST, make sure to draw a nice, strong line you can see well. Searching for your drawn line as your fabric is under the needle will cause you to wobble.
If you are using directional fabric or fussy cutting in your pinwheels, pay special attention to where your seam is and make sure the resulting look is what you want.
Don’t forget to trim up your HST units to exactly 4 1/2″ square once they are sewn and pressed! ‘Close enough’ isn’t good enough- slight variations in size and shape on these units will make your sewing difficult for the remainder of your steps.
In step 6, as you sew your pinwheel together, be careful to make sure you line up the center of your pinwheel really well and that you don’t sew over your points. You have lots of fabrics coming together in one place, and it’s ok to go really slow here to make sure you are happy with your results.
Remember to press open (we’re going to keep reminding you of this). It will really help spread out the bulk in the center of your block when you have 8 fabrics coming together. When pressing thicker spots, finger press before going in with your iron. This will help coax your seam allowances into place.
Pinning while sewing your borders on will help that longer seam not to stretch out as you sew. A walking foot can also help alleviate some of the stretching.
Ok, that’s it for this month. Keep up the good work, friends!
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at email@example.com so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.