Welcome to the first month of our 2020 Sew-along! We hope you all are as excited to get going as we are. This year, we have a lovely sampler quilt designed by our 2020 featured designer, Karen Lewis. The blocks have a lot of visual impact and will make a very striking quilt when we are done. The quilt is made up of 12 blocks- one for each month of 2020.
Every month, we will post a few tips here to help you get beautiful and accurate blocks. We may be talking about fabric choices, assembly tips, techniques, or a myriad of other subjects… anything we think you should know before starting your block. So be sure to check in here each month.
To help you keep track of all the details regarding the BOM, we’ve created a 2020 BOM Landing Page.
If you ever have any questions about block construction or think a correction should be made, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
So let’s get started!
The instructions for January’s block are on page 16 of your Quilter’s Planner magazine. You will be using colors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Tip #1: If you haven’t already chosen a color scheme, take some time today to photocopy the coloring page on page 17 of your magazine (or print it out using the link below) and try out some options. Be brave, as this quilt lends itself well to bold color choices! Once you’ve done a few, choose your favorite and start collecting fabric.
Tip #2: The pattern notes ask you to press seams open unless otherwise noted. It’s best to follow the designer’s instruction on this, as they know best how to get the seams of their pattern to sit nice and flat. And we all love flat seams!
When pressing seams open, sometimes it’s easiest to use a mini iron. Be sure to keep your fingers a safe distance from the iron surface.
Tip #3: If you are worried about mixing up your colors when assembling, lay all the pieces of the block out and sew each seam one by one. After sewing a seam, press the unit and place it back in its spot with the rest of the block pieces before sewing the next seam. This really helps to keep track of where everything goes!
Tip #4: In Block Assembly steps 4 and 5, use pins to keep the edges of your center squares lined up as you sew. In order to prevent damage to your machine, remove these pins before they reach your needle.
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at email@example.com so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.
The Quilter’s Planner Team