Welcome to our March tips and tricks!
Two blocks down, ten to go! Are you feeling good so far? We’ve been seeing your blocks on Instagram and Facebook, and they look amazing.
Here is our block for March, a log cabin with a wide border. It’s a great block for really showcasing some of those fun screen printed fabrics by Karen Lewis.
Here are your tips for this month. As always, if you have questions on this block’s construction, please feel free to email us at email@example.com
When cutting Fabrics 1 and 2, please note that each fabric calls for some different cut lengths. A quick glance at the block, and you may assume that you cut these the same lengths, but note that Fabric 1 has one shorter cut and Fabric 2 has one longer cut.
If you are using colors other than those shown in the diagrams, it could help to label them with the color numbers listed in the pattern so you don’t get anything mixed up.
As you sew on the ‘logs’ of your log cabin, be sure to work clockwise as called for in the pattern, or you will end up with colors reversed. If you are having a tough time remembering where to sew your next piece, it can also help to pin a note to the middle square to remind yourself which way is ‘up’ on your block.
This block has a lot of seams that need to be pressed before you sew the next seam. We know it can be tedious to get up so often to press, but it really is important! We suggest a portable pressing station near your machine to alleviate the temptation to not press. This will help your block be as gorgeous and straight as it can be.
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.