Welcome to May! We’re nearing the halfway point of our sew-along. Now is the time that we really start to see how our quilt is shaping up and what all our blocks look like together. If you have a design wall, we encourage you to put your blocks up and take some time to be proud of all you’ve done.
Here is our block for May:
Doesn’t that Kona Pimento make a stunning background?
Before we get sewing, we wanted to point out that this month’s block border pieces should be cut 3 ¾” wide. They have been narrower in other months, so please note the difference and make sure you get it cut correctly!
As you can see, the center portion of May’s block has a lot of seams. Using a scant quarter inch seam will be especially important in helping the center subunit fit the border pieces when it’s time to sew them on. If your border rectangles don’t fit, this means your seam allowance was probably off. You may need to go back and double check your work.
There are lots of small squares to sew together this month. Using starch will really help when working with those little pieces. Not only will they be easier to pick up, but they will stay in place better as you sew.
If you are using any novelty prints or florals in your quilt, this month would be a great time to practice fussy cutting. That center square is the perfect place for a fun little motif!
We have been instructed to press our seams open throughout most of our blocks, but this month we are given the option to press open or to press to alternating sides. Pressing to alternating sides gives us the chance to nest our seams. This is a nice option to help make sure the corners of our squares line up well.
As you sew, make sure those two seam allowances butt up next to each other. Pinning on each side of the nested seam really helps them to not slip.
We hope you are in good health and that you are able to connect to friends and family online. Please remember to share your blocks and encourage one another on social media… we are so proud of you for keeping at it!
As always, please feel free to email us email@example.com with feedback or questions. We love to hear from you!
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.