Welcome to October!
We are 3/4 of our way through the BOM, and this month’s block might just be our favorite so far!
There’s lots of sewing along a bias edge in this block. We recommend checking out our post from August for a quick reminder of our tips for not stretching out a bias edge while sewing and pressing your block.
Here is our biggest tip for this month: CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK YOUR MEASUREMENTS BEFORE CUTTING FABRICS.
We have several cuts in this block that measure to a ⅞” line on your ruler, some that are on the ½” mark and others that measure to ¾” and even ⅜”. We’re used to cutting to those quarter inch increments, but the eighth inch increments can really throw a quilter off! It’s really important to get these right, of course, so pay attention to what you’re doing as you cut. Now is not the time to zone out and let muscle memory cause you to cut at a quarter inch increment.
Even with the most careful cutting, sewing and pressing, this block can sometimes look a little wonky as it’s coming together. And that’s ok! Take your time and don’t sweat the small stuff; it will turn out lovely in the end!
Don’t forget to enter your block for our quarterly giveaway!
Guidelines to enter your sewn blocks into our quarterly challenge (and win prizes on Instagram and Facebook)
- Between the 1st and the 7th day of each month, you’ll find the pattern for that month’s block and select your fabrics.
- Between the 8th and the 14th, you’ll get your fabrics prepped and cut.
- Between the 15th and the end of each month, sew up your block and post it to Instagram (please use the #qp2020sewalong hashtag) or to the Facebook group (using the same #qp2020sewalong hashtag).
Rules for entering your sewn blocks to win prizes online
- When you post a photo of your block on Instagram or in our Facebook group by each deadline set for the month (between the 15th and the end of the month), you’ll be entered into a quarterly drawing for some great prizes from our sponsors.
- You must tag @thequiltersplanner on IG and @QuiltersPlanner on Facebook with your entry and use the hashtag #qp2020sewalong hashtag so we can track your entry.
- Each month’s entry must be posted by 11:59pm on the last day of the month Central Time to be eligible. Each month you post will be counted as one entry for that quarter’s drawing.
- If you win the quarterly prize, you will be eligible to win again at 6 months, and 12 months, if you complete and enter each month’s block on time.
- Some prizes may not be available for participants outside the US due to shipping costs. Winners will be contacted via social media and asked to provide email address and shipping address.
- If a prize alternative is required, it will be sent via email.
- If you do not receive your prize within one month, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can contact prize sponsors and help coordinate a new shipment.
- These contests are not affiliated with Instagram or Facebook in any way.